Homemade Dryer Ball Update
I originally posted about my homemade dryer balls in March and I’ve been using them ever since. At first I wasn’t sure if they worked but now I am sold on them. Almost always my items are dry when the dryer beeps. I rarely need to add time and run a standard load in the dryer longer. This wasn’t the case before I started using them. I’ve also used less dryer sheets. I still use them, but I’m definitely using less. Static is not bad either but that is hard to gauge because I’ve been using them during the warmer months where the heat hasn’t been on much. The true static test will be in December and January. But, less time in the dryer results in less static so I’m anticipating less static this winter.
A couple months ago I made two more dryer balls out of t-shirt scraps wrapped in wool. And I lost one of the original balls somewhere in the house. I’m sure it will turn up eventually.
Because we do a ton of laundry, my dryer balls have taken a beating. One in particular unraveled a good bit today so it is time to fix them. As you can see, they have been well used.
Four of the six balls needed fixing. I wrapped the unraveling one up with some wool scraps and finished it and the others with 100% wool yarn wrapped really tight. I tried to work the ends in a little better as a few came loose with the initial batch. Then I washed them with a couple of loads of towels set to hot. This time I did not place them in a lingerie bag. They seemed to felt better and we are ready to do some more laundry!